Thursday, November 17, 2016

Crazy and Shingles


The crazy is normal.  We are always on the run. 

Sidney has been invited to participate in the Duke TIP program based on her 6th grade STAAR test scores.  She had a nearly perfect score in reading.  STAAR is the Texas standardized test.  Because of this she will take the SAT on December 3.  The test is both to give her experience and to identify any opportunities to support her development on an accelerated or unique way.  Don't know what will happen after the test, maybe nothing, but anxious to find out. 
Sidney also did a Halloween recital where she played the piano and sang.  I was so proud I almost burst.  It's a lot more work to add singing to piano playing and it was truly lovely.  She has a beautiful voice.

The recital was at Alamo Music Center. They sell all sorts of instruments including a wide variety of pianos and keyboards.  She has long outgrown her Craig's list purchased keyboard so I was looking for a step up.  I've been thinking about it for a while.  I ended up buying a digital upright piano.  It's only just a bit smaller than an acoustic piano but has fully weighted keys with the same size keys and keyboard.  It does all sorts of things.  It records, has built in songs, multiple instruments, a metronome and 87 pages of other stuff.  She really likes it and I'm pleased. 

I completed the last race in my Spartan trifecta.  14 plus miles and 35 very difficult obstacles.  One of the hardest things I've done.  The distance and obstacles also not with life's challenges that limit training made it pretty darn hard.

Time was right at 5 hours.  I was 28 of 211 women in age group,  1671 of 5102 overall and 312 of 1617 women.   Hardest obstacle was the wade, swim, trudge through at least a 1/2 a mile if deep, muddy, fish filled water with unseen stumps and boulders.  I took off my shins and encountered far too many both live and dead fish.  It was awful.  Second worst was the sandbag carry.  Normally one of my favorites but this was on a serious hill well after the half way point. Up was super difficult and down was dangerous.  I came down with the sand bag on my lap like a crab.  It worked, I lived. 


Other obstacles were typical walls, hay walks, swamp crossing, rolling mud, a frame cargo net, log hop, tire flip, atlas carry, bucket carry, farmers carry, rope climb, monkey bars, balls and hoops you had to swing across, Spartan sled, herc hoist, inverted wall, multi carry, plate drag, javelin, dunk wall, slip fall, fire jump and at least 5 or 6 I have either forgotten or don't want to remember.  One that I don't remember the name of but I succeeded at and was proud of myself is the one where you have to pull yourself along the rope underneath with your legs locked over the rope. It's at an incline and you have to pull yourself up to the bell.  I needed a lift getting on. I couldn't reach it even jumping.  When I went to let go I did let my feet go first but then I shot up while trying to let go.  It was funny. 
The morning after the race Sidney made me breakfast in bed.  It was very sweet.  An English muffin, apple and cup of tea.  She loves to give me food gifts.



Sidney made dessert one night.  She is in an elective called FCS which we would have called Home Ec.  They learned how to make Apple Pan Betty.  She made it one night and insisted on washing the dishes by hand.  But she put the sink plug in upside down and we couldn't get it out.  We had to bail the water in the sink so I could finally pry it out.  Her desert was very good and the cleanup entertaining.  I also tried making ribs.  I can make a few improvements but I think they were very good for my first try. 

I came down with shingles right after the race.  I felt awful during the race and slid steadily down hill to misery.  A lot of pain and discomfort on the right front and back of my chest.  It wasn't fun and I was exhausted, overwhelmed, and discouraged.  Several people at church brought Sidney and I meals which really helped.  The thought of cooking or shopping was more than I could deal with.  I seem to be progressing towards getting better slowly but surely. 

I had stormy out for a walk one night while Sidney was swimming.  Stormy was pushing her luck and being generally naughty on the leash.  I was calling her a donkey for that reason.  Not sure why I chose that animal.  But we are walking along minding our business and all the sudden there is a donkey and several goats.  I had never seen them but they were in one of the couple of lots with animals around and had their heads through the fence getting grass. They startled us because it was dark.  I thought the timing was funny.  A little further on we met a skunk.  Fortunately he was busy rooting around for bugs and Stormy was distracted so I rushed us along before he decided he might not like us. 

There was one more animal that evening.  A little kitten. We decided randomly it was a she.  We heard her meow after we walked out of the pool doors.  We spent an hour that night crawling around the bushes trying to catch her to no avail. We went back the next night armed with canned cat food, fish flakes and the kennel.  I almost had her a couple of times but then she went into a hole we didn't think she could get out of.  We needed up calling animal control and they came with a few hours. She was out of the hole and they decided she was healthy and old enough to take care of herself even though she was little.  They wouldn't catch her for those reasons.  Sidney was quite upset. The kitten needed a forever home and it wasn't good for the kitten or the people that she was out there alone.  There were great big tears..... 


We had another swim meet this weekend.  Sidney swam 9 events in the two days. Most of them back to back. She ate a ton in between and after.  A few personal bests but mostly an average meet. 

We went shoe shopping after the swim meet on Saturday.  Sidney took my tennis shoes, rascal.  She also needed some decent shoes to wear with her dresses on the cruise over Thanksgiving.  I wouldn't let her wear tennis shoes.  We were trying on the same shoes and then fighting over who would get them.  Seriously. She has 4 inches to grow before she is as tall as I am.  






Sidney came down with some yuck during and after the swim meet.  She had a fever but tested negative for strep and flu.  She was miserable for several days but seems to be on the mend after sleeping 15 hours on Monday night. 

We head out for a Disney cruise to the Bahamas on Friday.  We'll be gone a week and are going with friends.  We are both looking forward to fun and down time.  We'll see how long it takes me to chill.....My friends think my idea of vacation is different.  I normally have to pack my own towel and toilet paper and sometimes food.  Any everything for any possible situation that might arise while away from civilization.  

Have a very Happy Thanksgiving.  Remember what is important and who you love.












No comments:

Post a Comment