Saturday, January 9, 2010

Dealing with the Cold


So even though we live almost as far north as the Arctic Circle, the temperatures here aren't normally extremely cold during the winter. Except this year. Many people that have lived here for over 35 years have told us that this is the coldest it has ever been here for the longest period of time. Temperatures have held around -12 to -14 Celsius (7-10 degrees Fahrenheit) for the past three weeks. The snow that came just before Christmas has still not melted, and the Norwegians are actually complaining that it is cold. Even our saltwater fjord is freezing.

Someone came up to me the other day and said "I bet you wish you hadn't moved to Norway with all this cold weather, huh?!?" I responded "This would be a warm winter in Ohio!"


Still, there is one issue with it being this cold - it is too cold in the mountains for natural snowfall to occur. We are supposed to go skiing in two weeks, and there isn't much natural snow at the ski area we are going to. I do understand they are trying to run the snow-making machines, though, so there is some hope. At least Sidney has all her ski-wear ready.

The first week back at school for Sidney and I has gone well. Sidney needs to get off her own pace and onto the pace of the rest of the class, but that will come. The student I work with is integrating into the classroom now and has done very well with the other students, so I am able to help with some of the other kids as well. I think the boys find it pretty cool to have a man in the classroom with them now.

I am also trying to learn my lines for a pantomime I was recruited into participating in. I play the Demon Pestblight in a panto version of Jack and the Beanstalk being performed by the British Amateur Theater Society here in Stavanger. The performance is at the end of January. Hopefully I will have my lines down by then! I am sure there will be lots of great pictures to come from that!

No comments:

Post a Comment