Monday, July 12, 2010

Preikestolen on a Windy Day

While Kirk and Sidney are off exploring Europe, Kimber is spending time with Jennifer and Jennifer's daughter, Kaitlyn. Jennifer was Kimber's boss in Texas City and will be Kimber's boss when we return to Houston. We went hiking Sunday to the most popular Norwegian hiking destination, Preikestolen. It was a lovely day except for the wind. Most of the hike was well protected from the wind, however, when we rounded the corner to the "Rock", we were nearly blown off our feet. You see in the picture below Kimber and Kaitlyn are not standing. As you also may notice, our hair is blowing completely side ways. We were nearly side ways too. We could barely stand for the wind. Fortunately, the wind was blowing in from the fjord towards safe ground rather than towards the fjord and long drop down. There is also a picture of us standing but that didn't last long before we had to drop down to keep from blowing over. It was nearly hurricane force winds.


Unfortunately for the rescuers, pilot, and person needing rescue, we saw this rescue helicopter and it's crew in action on our hike down from Preikestolen. It was exciting for us but not for them I am sure.

For those who know us or who have been following the blog, you may remember what happened the last time I hiked Preikestolen. I badly injured my left ankle very near the top of the hike. Rather than take the option pictured above (helicopter route) I hiked out on the injured ankle. Maybe not the best choice. But I remembered exactly where the injury occurred. I was stepping through the gap between the large boulders shown to my right in the picture below. I didn't see or react to the small rock in the center, and my left ankle turned off of the rock. I was carrying Sidney in the back pack at the time and the extra weight contributed to the severity of the injury. At the time I thought I broke it. Fortunately, neither Sidney or I were injured further because of the mud we landed in when we fell. It felt a little odd to return to the scene of the crime. My ankle held up well this time, but I think it will always be affected by the injury.



It was windy in Stavanger Sunday night as well. The two pictures below show the affect the wind had on the crane hook. It was swinging from side to side in the wind like a pendulum on a clock.



Finally, Kimber will be traveling with Jennifer and Kaitlyn to Lillehammer on Saturday. We are going to visit the Olympic Park, do the Wheelbob and the zip line at Hunderfossen Park. Kimber is excited to get to explore another thing in Norway and to share it with friends. It will be a fast turnaround trip, about 24 hours from take off to return to Stavanger.

No comments:

Post a Comment