Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A little catching up

It isn't that Houston is a boring place, or that we never do anything here. It is just that our lives have returned to "normal." This is the reason there aren't as many posts here as before. Now, our definition of "normal" may not seem that way to others, but I will try to explain.

Kimber works a 9-80 schedule, meaning she works a total of at least 80 hours every nine days, then earns a flex day. She takes the van pool to work on days I am not working, meaning she is up at 5:10 and out the door by 5:40. She gets home around 5:00 p.m., unless she goes to the YMCA to swim or take a class.

I am currently working as an agency nurse, and most of my shifts have been 7 p.m.-7 a.m. in an ER close to our house. I really enjoy the work, especially since it seems you accomplish more on night shift. By that, I mean it usually starts busy then gets slower as you clear the ER out overnight. It is exactly the opposite on days, so it seems like you are running behind by the end of the shift. The agency stuff isn't bad, but not very predictable as to how much I will work during the week.

I am also interviewing for a couple of positions that would allow me to work a regular day shift, meaning I could take Sidney to school and pick her up, and I could continue to work when Kimber is traveling. As it is now, when Kimber travels, I cannot work a 12 hour shift because of the times Sidney has to be dropped off or picked up. The interview process is going well, and I hope to hear more by the beginning of next week on at least one of the positions.

Sidney's "normal" is going to school every day. She goes to the YMCA before- and after-school program, and one of us usually picks her up around 4:30 to come home, do homework, play a little, eat and get ready for bed. Many would say our 7:30 bed time for her is too early, but I believe the sleep does her good. Sidney continues to do very good in school, but also has an issue with staying on task. We are working on that issue.

If Sidney does well with her behavior chart during the week, we all go for frozen yogurt on Friday evening. It is a nice 20 minute or so bike ride from the house, and the yogurt is good.

On the weekends, we try to do something fun on Saturday. This past week, we went to a local store that was having a "Bike University". We all attended a roadside maintenance class, and Kimber learned how to change a tube. Sidney, of course, provided her own coaching and cheer-leading while Kimber practiced. Kimber also went to a concert with a friend on Saturday night. Sidney was a bit under the weather Sunday, so we stayed home from church, though that is our usual Sunday activity.

This coming weekend, Kimber leaves for Norway for a one week trip. She is taking over lots of things for friends there, and I am sure everyone there is anticipating her arrival, much like Christmas! Sidney and I are going to see the Harlem Globetrotters on Saturday night. Sunday, she and I will go to church and get ready for the week ahead. It is supposed to be cool and rainy Sunday, so it will be a good time to finish up homework.

I will try to post pictures from the Globetrotters in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment