Sunday, May 15, 2016

Some Tough Days

The last two weeks have been tough from the beginning to the end.  Monday week before last was the only OK day.  After that was down hill really fast.  Tuesday morning started with an email from Sidney's swim coach notifying us that the team was dissolved.  We started swimming just over a year ago, about the same time we knew Kirk would not get better and not come home.  Coach is a former marine and a strong leader.  He helped to fill a male role model void left by the loss of her dad.  And now he too is gone from our lives.  Sidney was heart broken.  To her coach had very nearly died.  She loved him and respected him beyond measure and this was another loss in her life.  We both cried for a good long time.  I think even a week later we are still mourning the loss of the Sharks.

Wednesday was not any better for me.  I have been fighting tendinitis in my left hip for several months.  I tried to wait it out but it got the better of me.  I can't sit for any length of time, am in pain when I run and wake up frequently in pain.  So I tried a cortisone shot.  The shot was ultrasound guided through the gluteus and into the tendon from the hamstring to pelvis.  It hurt like the devil.  I had a hard time even walking after the shot.  And based upon how I feel now, I don't think it helped.  I still can't sit and have all the same pain.  And to add insult to injury I have pulled my left tricep and have shin splints.  

After my shot on Wednesday I didn't feel very well.  I was in the field on Thursday and by then I was really miserable. Headache, nauseated, weak, confused.  I took my blood pressure when I got home and it was high. Not as high as before but still higher than it should be.  I made an appointment with the doctor for Friday.

Thursday brought sadness to my side of the family. My half sister, Dorina, lost her husband, Ralf, to cancer. He has been fighting for many years but finally lost his battle.  They live in Germany and the distance is difficult.  I want to be there and I know my dad does too but it's just too far and hard.  I so wish I could be there to love her in person.

Sidney was in a singing contest where she sang a solo and ensemble for a judge at school on Thursday.  It is the culmination of the year in choir.  She sang "The Song that Nature Sings" for her solo and "All Night, All Day" with three other classmates for her ensemble.  She got a superior, the highest rating, for both performances.  That at least made Thursday a little better. 

I went to the doctor Friday and the doctor said he thought I had a migraine.  He gave me some migraine medicine and I took that.  I did feel better Saturday but no where near my normal self.  I still don't feel like I am back to normal but the headache is under control.  I go back to the doctor Monday. 

Mother's Day was more or less another day.  I read in church and then we were planning to go to Fiesta Texas.  The weather was a bit too cold and wet so I just went over to some friends for a while.  Sidney was a touch sassy in the afternoon.  I guess she forgot it was my day.....

We started tryouts for new swim teams on Tuesday.  We started with the Wave which meets at UTSA.  The tryout was fine but the pool is only so so.  Wednesday we tried Alamo Area Aquatic Association at the Northside Aquatic Complex.  It's a really nice pool.  Both pools are less than 10 minutes from home.  Sidney liked the AAAA coach right away.  The last team we tried was Lifetime.  After the practice we knew that wasn't the team for us.  And after deliberations and discussions we settled on AAAA.  I am really proud of Sidney for being open minded and mature about the change. It wasn't what we wanted to do and it wasn't easy.  AAAA is a really big team and we have always competed against them.  But we think it is the best team to get her ready for high school which is what we need.  She'll practice Monday through Thursday from 5:30 to 7.  I had to move piano but we'll sort the new schedule.  It also seems several other former sharks are moving to AAAA at various pools.

Friday afternoon was fun. Several of us at work volunteered for 2 hours at a place called Pets Alive. It is a shelter in town that is trying to get San Antonio to be a no kill city.  They have succeeded with cats but aren't there yet with dogs.  We spent the two hours taking the dogs for walks.  They aren't the easiest dogs to walk. I am actually sore from holding onto my dogs.  It was interesting that most of the dogs are dark colored and male. They are also large.  They have had some dogs for a year or more trying to find them a home.  They need volunteers to walk dogs, play with them and socialize them. All of those things make them more adoptable.  I think Sidney and I will commit to a day a month now that we aren't swimming on Saturdays for a while.  

Sidney spent most of Saturday singing in something called Together we Sing.  Kids from all of the middle schools in Northside ISD, over a dozen schools, participate in a Disney themed performance.  They learn the songs ahead of time and learn the choreography on Saturday.  I spent all day taking her to and from.  160 miles with all of the round trips.  Love my car but seriously.  They performed in the evening for a packed house and it was surprisingly fun and impressive.  There must have been a thousand 6th through 8th graders there. They did a really nice job. 

In the middle of running her back and forth I took the dog to the vet for some follow up blood work after her annual visit in April.  She had some abnormal blood work on her annual visit.  I didn't realize how bad her blood work was.  She isn't acting sick but all of her white blood cell values and her platelets are really low.  The vet thinks she might have acquired a tick borne disease, possibly before we got her.  I have never seen a tick on her and she has been treated since we got her.  But she spent her early life on the street.  We are getting a set of tests to see if it is a tick borne disease and we started a month of antibiotics.  I am not going to lie that I am worried.  She came to us just two days before Kirk's accident and we need her.... 

I am typing most of this while sitting at a swim meet on Sunday.  We were able to still get in the meet as unattached.  Sidney warmed up with her new coach, Coach Bahr.  I can tell she has been out of the water a while.  Times aren't great and form isn't either.  She hasn't swam in three weeks. But the experience is valuable and she gets to see some of the former sharks.  And it appears she is already in love with her new coach.  I have one of the most sociable children on earth. 

Sidney has a singing recital on Monday, and we start with the new team hopefully on Tuesday if everything gets processed.  Next Saturday we will be in San Marcos for another piano competition.  Because she got a superior during her competition here she can go to this State level competition.  It will be a good experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment