Tuesday, August 18, 2009

First Day of School

Yesterday was Sidney's first day of school. I also started work at her school, though the student I will work with will not be there until late September. By the way, as I am writing this at 7:30 a.m. local time in Norway, it is actually published on "U.S." time, so Sidney did not start school on Sunday, as the dateline may lead you to believe.


We gave Sidney a "First Day of School" present - a Disney princess alarm clock. Here you see her turning it off after it went off. She had actually gotten up fifteen minutes earlier, but after realizing her new alarm clock hadn't gone off yet, insisted on going back to bed until it did.


After a healthy bowl of granola for breakfast (she wanted chocolate cereal, but I convinced her otherwise), she got dressed for school. We ordered her uniforms from Land's End and had a friend/co-worker of Kimber's bring them over, but they didn't arrive until yesterday afternoon. We had some of her uniform shirts we purchased last year, as well as her "tie" (which is actually on an elastic band), so we made do with a pair of navy blue pants for the day. She was not the only kid "out of uniform" as many other parents are still trying to get things ready for the year.


She was happy to see her friends again after the summer, and there was an immediate ear-piercing squeal when the girls all got together again. Sidney did well in class, but was a little disappointed she didn't get to go to childcare afterward and had to go home with me.

My day was pretty good as well, and the kids all seem to do pretty well with a male in the classroom. One thing that happened that I thought was pretty funny is that we have twin boys in the classes (one in my class and one in Sidney's.) I didn't realize it, but when the classes were all lined up beside each other, I was trying to get the one from Sindey's class to come over to my line. He kept telling me "But I'm (name here)", and I just thought I was mistaken on the name I was calling him. I figured it out shortly thereafter, and now have an identifying mark on my student so I can recognize him.

On a much sadder not, I received information this morning that my grandmother passed away last night. She had recently had some serious health issues, and things went down hill quickly starting last weekend. She died peacefully with her children, other family and her pastor at her bedside. She was 86 years old, and was an awesome person. Kimber, Sidney and I loved her very much, and will miss her greatly. She was a strong and faithful Christian and I know she is resting at peace with the Lord now.


As ex-pats, this is one of the times that is most difficult. When family emergencies occur back in the States, it is not as simple as just getting a plane ticket and flying back to be there. The one thing I can take solace in is that Granny believed very much in the spirit, and her spirit knows how much I cared for her and doesn't need me there to be with her body.

We love you, G.G.

1 comment:

  1. Sidney is sooo cute, i think she looks adorable!

    we start school tomorrow the 19th and i am excited to go to Findlay High School!

    You guys missed dragon boat races. We placed 4th over all (in class A championchip) even though i am convinced we could ahve won with you kimber! haha

    Yours Truly

    --
    Amanda Reynolds

    ReplyDelete