Sunday, June 13, 2010

North Sea Race

You will probably be able to tell that this is another post by Kimber. Short on pictures but long on words.


I wanted this post to be about my finishing the North Sea Race on Saturday. But I couldn't. I gave every ounce of my heart and strength and I tried by best, I truly did. But I had to quit after 60 kilometers and 5 hours of biking. Many things affected me during the race. First was the head wind. It was rarely below 25 mph and frequently gusting above 35 mph. It was always in our face or at least at a right or left front angle. Never behind us. Second, since the accident during my last race just three weeks ago I have been limited on training. So the combination of wind, lack of training and still healing from my injuries made me run out of endurance quickly. As positive as I try to be the day was completely miserable.


I blew off the road three times. The third was into a rock wall with electric fence. I also could almost not hang onto my handle bars from fighting the wind, the hours on the bike, and lack of training. Also everyone had to walk through thick mud for nearly and hour because of all the rain we had. I lost my shoe to the stuff twice. (Photo courtesy of aftenbladet.no)

I am having a hard time having quit. I am disappointed in myself. I know I made the right decision but I am good at second guessing myself. But if by some remote possibility I could have kept going for 30 more kilometers in the wind, it would have taken me at least two more hours.

For those who now me well, you know how hard it was to call Kirk to come get me. Please keep me in your thoughts as I reconcile that for myself over the coming days.

I am going to take a break from hard training for a few weeks and spend some more time with my family. I have missed them over the last two months. I haven't given up on challenging goals though. I am planning to do the half-marathon in Stavanger in late August if we are here. But I have some time to prepare for that. Also Kirk and I are going to try a little off road biking together. I have a lot to learn.

(Kirk edit here - According to the Stavanger Aftenblad, over 1800 people withdrew before the race even started, and over 4000 did not finish. I am quite proud that Kimber stuck it out for 60 of the 91 km in such conditions!)

On some positive notes- Sidney finishes school this week. We have her progress report and are so proud of all she has learned this year. She can read at a second grade level and can write very well. She still however can disrupt class by talking a lot and side-tracks easily. We will scan in the report and send it to the grandparents.

Also, the swans brought their new family for a visit. There are two gray and four white cygnet's (baby swan - gotta love Google!) We haven't gotten a picture yet but we will. We love watching our little family grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment