Sunday, June 13, 2010

Update From Kimber

This is a three part update from Kimber. Part one regards my mental health, part two my physical health, and part three some funnyish moments.

My Mental Health
I have spent the last 36 hours in a tough mental place. But I am starting to get better. Part of moving to Norway was to try new adventures. These races were way outside of my comfort zone and experience. And beyond anything this physical that I had tried before. A huge challenge. I learned enormous amounts about myself, physically and mentally, and about biking doing these races. I am glad I tried all three races. Even with some of the results. I committed to riding and put forth 100%. Given the opportunity, I would do any of the three again. And maybe sometime I will get the chance. I also know now that without the wind, I could have completed the 91 km of the North Sea Race. I am saddened that I didn't enjoy it more as that was one of my primary goals. The route really could have been beautiful without the constant struggle to stay upright and moving forward. I still have a little mental work to do around that word "quit" but mentally I am getting better.

My Physical Health
I am feeling pretty beat up. Not as bad as after the accident in the Garborg race (I can actually feed myself with my right arm!!) But I am going to try to get to the doctor this week to have the infected cut looked at and see if I can get some help for rehabbing my shoulder. If I learned anything from the ankle injury in Novemeber, it is to get rehab earlier on a serious injury. After I am better Kirk and I are going to ride together before we leave so I can get more comfortable off road. There are some great places just a few minutes from the house. I look forward to exploring them with Kirk and gaining confidence, strength and ability. Maybe next year I will be as confident as I was in my second year of triathlons. Knowing it will be a challenge but having more confidence in myself.

Some Funny-ish Moments
OK so funny is a little stretch but I am trying. The first funny is about my ability or lack thereof to put my clothes on. After we arrived in Egersund, we realized the bandaging on my arm had slid off. So I had to strip down even out of my long sleeve t-shirt to re-bandage my arm and in a hurry. Kirk got me reset and I put all my stuff back on and grabbed my bike, rushing to the start. When I got there I realized that I hadn't put the suspenders in the bike shorts back on in my rush and I had to take off my jackets, back down to my t-shirt to get my shorts on right. It was very funny. Now also, the mud is a little funny. Besides my shoe coming off twice, I am not sure how I didn't face plant in the stuff. It was slippery. Blowing off the road so many times was also a little funny. At least I blew off in places where I could control my descent into the field (except the last time with the fence). Others weren't as lucky. And finally the attempt to turn a few times was funny-ish. The marshal kept signaling me to turn and his back was against a rock wall, with me headed straight for him and no control. Poor guy. I made it though with maximum effort and some luck.

One final note. It was still a really rough day. Thank you to everyone who has supported me going into this and who continues to support me. Thank you also to the marshals and others who helped in this race and the others. Without you, the races could not happen. And the conditions have been bad for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment