Thursday, June 30, 2011

MS 150

So Kimber completed the BP MS 150 for the first time. The MS 150 is a charitable bike ride from Houston to Austin over two days. The overnight stop is La Grange Texas. Depending on the route you choose, total mileage can be from 150 miles to around 180 miles. The ride raises money for research to find a cure for Multiple Sclerosis and to improve treatment and care for those who have multiple sclerosis. About 130 people from Marathon ride each year and a total of 13,000 people ride. Marathon riders raised $150,000 for the National MS Society. Here is a picture of Kimber on the first day. She wore her only short sleeve jersey from Norway.


It is a challenging ride. You can start in Houston, Katy or Waller. Katy is the most popular start. Waller second. Houston is the longest day for the those who start there. They ride 100 miles to get to La Grange. The start was nice, well controlled and the ride in general was well supported. Most riders were courteous and friendly. There were some who were exhibiting dangerous behavior. One of the main challenges was the volume of traffic at rest stops. And some of the entries and exits to the rest stops were scary to me, consisting of loose rocks and gravel. But there was plenty of food, water, facilities, and bike repair if needed. Also the road on the first day was not in very good shape. It was very rough in many places so I was completely worn out when I finally got to La Grange. But my awesome support team (Kirk and Sidney) were there cheering me on. We stayed at a hotel in Bastrop overnight. Most people sleep at the campgrounds in group tents in La Grange. But I simply don’t camp. Plus with Kirk and Sidney, we really needed beds. It worked out well because then I could relax a little the next morning and get on my bike right at the hotel to continue my ride. Below is a picture from the second day. I am actually feeling really good.

I was early so I had most of the road mostly to myself, seeing only the fastest riders pass me by. It was a lovely flat and smooth road up to about 5 miles out of Austin. Then it got hilly and windy. But it was such an amazing feeling to ride into Austin. Both personally to know you completed something like this, and as something you could give. The ride isn’t about speed or racing. It is a ride to support a cause that affects many people. Most riders ride in honor of or in memory of someone with MS. Below is one of the professional photos taken during the ride. What a great picture. Congratulations to all the riders for whom this was a challenge. It was a worthy challenge for a great cause. Someone's life will be a little better because you rode!


Kirk and Sidney were up to well, what Kirk and Sidney do. Play, eat and take pictures. An occasional cheer for mom and taking care of her when she is finished. Sidney managed to find some fun.








Kirk and I are talking about doing it together next year. We can’t take Sidney until she is 12 though so she will have to say with a friend. But it would be a nice chance for Kirk and I to do something good together.








And for the funny bit which accompanies many of our posts. First a picture iconic of Texas. A lost boot.






After the ride is a big party. And no one wants to stink for the party so they bring in shower trucks. I had never seen such a thing before. But my eye caught this sign of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment