Sunday, March 1, 2015

March 1

Today is six months after the accident. I cannot think of Labor Day and the fear and pain that day brought without tears, still. I did not think Kirk would live through that night or the many days that followed. And once I knew he would live, I did not imagine this result. We were living a dream, the perfect life. In an instant it changed.

Kirk became officially un-employed this week and his things were delivered to the house, sparing me of cleaning his office. But I unpacked and sorted years worth of work and a career that brought him great joy.

Kirk is not unhappy. His perception of the world is very altered. He likes to be busy and to be helpful. I don't think a "job" crosses his mind. He loves Sidney and I and although he doesn't remember our visits or the things happening in our lives, he remembers us.

Sidney and I have had fairly normal lives this week. Work has been far more challenging than normal but I am hanging on. Sidney is swimming twice a week with the team and she is gaining endurance, skill and confidence. She may not advance but the coach is a super role model and she is learning to work hard.

I am still trying to figure out how to make life complete for Kirk when he gets home. I can now start discussing his care with my insurance as he switched over today. I have found us an internal medicine doctor to follow both of us. Hopefully that will ensure our unusual conditions are managed in the best way possible.

This week will be short. Sidney and I are off to Colorado on Friday. We will drive to Carlsbad and treat ourselves to the Caverns on Friday and then head into Colorado Springs on Saturday. We will head back to San Antonio on the following Thursday. Yes my crazy self is driving.

Oh and Sidney has her first science fair project. She is testing if different liquids melt at different times. We have one if three trials done. With any luck we'll get the other two done thus week. Watching water me,t is worse, far worse, than watching water boil.

No comments:

Post a Comment