Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Just Life

That's kind of where we are now. We are 6 weeks into school and Sidney is doing pretty OK. She had a swim meet in Round Rock this weekend. It was out doors and oh so hot. She did pretty good. She made serious improvements in her butterfly. That might become her strongest stroke. A swim meet means a weekend isn't actually a weekend so we are both pretty tired.



I forgot to put a few things on the blog post about Peru. The first was pocket bread. The second youngest member of our team and the perpetually the hungriest, often had bread in his pocket. He'd pick it up from breakfast or dinner and carry it around. He'd either eat it later (sometimes days later) or let one of us have it. Desperation of a starving college student. Sidney reminded me about it. She calls the team member pocket bread person.



I also forgot to write about the rainy night on our last night in Peru. The pastor of the church walked in and was wearing a fire retardant fleece with the big red Marathon M on it. The name on the jacket was David. I suspect it originated at a Marathon refinery. Amazing how far a give away can travel.


Finally I forgot to write about some mis-spellings on the menu at a restaurant. Pie was spelled "pye" and side dishes were "side pishes". 



On to Kirk. We have another interview with Marbridge on October 7. We still aren't very close to an entry and time is running by. I continue to pursue other options but there are few of them.



A year ago I was moving Kirk out of the ICU at University Hospital. He was still on a ventilator and tracheotomy and feeding tube. But he could offer a kiss and nod to questions.  It was really the first time that I allowed myself to think he would live. I also thought we could maybe start a new but different life. I had no idea......



The level of sadness and loneliness is still almost intolerable. I cannot understand why my feelings are still so intense. It feels like this started yesterday versus a year ago.  I think Sidney is fairly well settled into reality though. The impact of his absence is different than it is for me. She certainly misses him but it isn't as present and continuous.


Thank you again for continued prayer and support. Thanks for sticking by our side through this journey.


1 comment:

  1. Praying for answers and the wisdom to find them.... Love to all and strength.

    ReplyDelete