Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Kirk's Visit to Marbridge

I took Kirk up to Marbridge, the facility that I am hoping to move home to, near Austin for a visit. The goal was for a few key staff members to meet him and for him to have a look around. He did fine. He was cordial, extremely polite, and communicated well about his likes and dislikes. I also clearly saw that he could read. One of the staff members gave him a list of activities and he picked out swimming to ask about. No one read it to him. He also said he really likes basketball and he would like to sing and go to church. He can't come up with these ideas on his own but he responds well to questions and knows what he wants.

He toured the faculty and met some residents and staff. He also said he didn't mind having a room mate because it is someone to talk to. Overall I think the visit went well. There were a couple of funnies. First he told me I was a much better driver that he was. I replied with a remark that it took him 17 years to admit that. He thought the year was 1996 and that he was living in San Angelo. I think he did live there then. He used meem, his go to word several times but he usually realizes it isn't
right and laughs. He's just got a really good sense of humor.

We still have hurdles. He isn't approved for admission and there is a waiting list and no vacancies. I need to provide more information and probably have to go for another meeting. They really don't know that they'll have a spot before November. I have a tentative back up plan with the VA but I sure would like to move him only once more.

On other notes we are adjusting to the school year. Some days better than others. Sidney has activities Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Swimming and piano. And I am as busy as ever with work. She also of course has more homework in middle school. Other than a few minor glitches she seems to be doing OK. She certainly likes it. I continue to go through the ups and downs as the days go by. I am still so very sad and overwhelmed.

1 comment:

  1. Kimber, I always anxiously await your updates and am continuously in awe of everything you are managing as you strive for normal for you and your daughter. Thank you for sharing your walk through life with Kirk, his status, his 'funnies', those things which require your decision making, etc. You all are being prayed for...May you be confident in God's plan and provision as He has you securely gripped in the palm of His hand. Charlene Carter Usry

    ReplyDelete