Monday, June 1, 2015

Another Move

I got Kirk moved on Wednesday from Brookdale to Rainbow House. How is that Brookdale seemed so right and turned out so wrong? Was I hung up on a name? I think it was some promise that wasn't met, some dream that will not be reality, some desire to have him close. The head staff, the Marketting Manager, the Operations Manager and the head nurse all quit or moved just after Kirk moved there. So many times I went to him and he was unwashed and wearing unclean clothes. Even the last day, Wednesday when I went to get him he smelled badly and was wearing the clothes I put him in on Monday.

Rainbow House seemed so overwhelming on my first visit. It is small and not new but it is clean and safe. Most residents are in wheel chairs and some are much lower functioning than Kirk. I think I wasn't ready to face reality at that time. It was scary and it was final. But now I understand the special needs of TBI survivors, the reality of where we are, and the dedication of the staff.  They want him to be happy and healthy and they know how to and are committed to making that happen.

We stopped and got his transportation ID on the way to Rainbow House. That will allow him nearly free transport to doctors appointments and day care if we start that. And then we were at Rainbow House. His new furntiure is nice and comfortable and fits in his room. I've hung lots of pictures and will hang some more. I think he has everything he needs.

He has had at least one episode of super frustration and the staff managed in in such a way that it was over in seconds. Brookdale would have made a huge deal out of it and it isn't a big deal at all. He plays basketball every day and they are doing memeory games to try to help him learn peoples names. Also on the morning after his first night they could tell me it took him a while to fall asleep but that he slept all night. I felt so much better knowing that he has that level of care. Everyone is for the most part peaceful. He does have a door that goes directly outside. That is alarmed in case he decides to go walk about. And he lives by a schedule. No surprises. We visited him this weekend and that went fine although he was sad when he realized we were leaving without him. Ultimately we snuck out and I am sure he forgot about us in an instant.

Sidney and I have had ups and downs. One up was her fabulous STAAR Test results. She exceeded the advanced expectations on all three tests, math, reading and science. And school will be out in 3 days. Downs are fighting over meals and expectations. She is still swimming and playing piano. And of course riding her beloved horse.

I had some success with Craig's List this weekend. I sold the bike Kirk had is accident on. The bike was virtually undamaged. And I was happy to see it go. Now for the other one. And I am adding the golf clubs and other stuff.

We will get our intern at work tomorrow. I am anxious to get a new young person in our group, even if it is only for a couple of months. And we get to go to Top Golf!

Sidney graduates from Elementary School on Thursday.  I can't believe how fast time has gone since starting school in Norway. This has been such a difficult year for her and I am so proud of her. She has managed to get through with good grades and some bumps and bruises. And she has kept her sweet heart and loving soul.

I am having a few friends over both Friday and Saturday and Sidney is off to camp on Sunday. I start Spanish class next Tuesday to prepare for our Peru mission trip.

Thank you for your continued support and prayers. We could not stay afloat without you.

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy you moved Kirk... I can only imagine your rage! I certainly hope you have filed complaints as well as left some not so nice reviews online ... so many people look to that for guidance and its always good to know. I so wish I lived closer, I would help you everyday. Love and Light to you all

    ReplyDelete