Tuesday, November 4, 2014

November 4

Well Kirk was super sassy today. He is feisty and joking and generally trying to be up to no good. I came on to visit him today and he can count to 20 in English, Spanish and Arabic.  His vocabulary does grow each day but he still substitutes many words and continues to have traumatic amnesia.

He now requires constant attention. Not from a medical standpoint but because his physical capabilities far exceed his ability to know his limitations or follow rules. He had a tent around his bed until yesterday to keep him in bed when he wasn't attended and at night. However he is determined and managed to escape. So that was that. So he now has a sitter and is super sassy even with his lack of memory of short term events.

It has been a few days since I have posted. And we have been busy (imagine). I also don't get posts up everyday in part because I am exhausted. So in no particular order, here are the events of the past few days.

Sidney and I swim on Thursdays. She has lessons and I swim laps. But before the lesson we did a few laps of various strokes including the back stroke. We started at the same time and did two laps. She toasted me by one half of a lap. I am in for it. She is smarter than I am and faster at least in the pool. I'm so in trouble.

The other day Kirk did the alphabet by choosing a word that started with each letter. He only switched Yankee and unicorn. But almost every word was the alphabet you use for radio signals. I can't remember what it is called but I was surprised. He also just remembers how to do so many things by muscle memory. Like tie his shoes.

We visited him after church on Sunday and a good breakfast of pancakes. Sidney was giving him a back rub and he wanted her to rub lower and to the left. She went lower and to the right and he corrected her.

Speaking of escaping, Stormy escaped her kennel yesterday morning and spent the day destroying the house. She destroyed a pillowcase and duvet cover, slipper, and area rug. Considering she had all day the damage wasn't that bad. Sidney discovered her when she got home and called me in a complete panic. So we now triple check to make sure the kennel is securely closed.

And I have discovered all three pets, dog, cat and bird, all like the laser that cats like. So I can make them all shake their heads yes and no and the cat and dog can do it at the same time. Oh the little pleasures in life. And I am trying to supplement Rocky, the lobster, with some additional food to try to save the fish.  I tried carrot this morning and he ate that. I am going to try a few more veggies.  He and Kiwi like the same things possibly.


So the final bit of news I can think of is that I thought Kirk would move to the next rehab facility this week. But he continues to make improvements at this facility so he will stay most likely until next Thursday. But I am already setting up the consults for the two possible facilities he will move to and will visit them this week.  But he will stay at Reeves until he reaches a plateau.

So it has been a long time since I have been willing to take a picture of him to share. But I thought now might be a good time. He was just really lively today and I think it's OK to share now. I hope soon we will have opportunities to take more pictures.

Thank you for continuing this journey with us and for loving us through this.

No comments:

Post a Comment