Monday, February 2, 2015

February 2

So I forgot to put in the last note that Sidney had her three month follow-up following her eye surgery last week. Every thing looks good and her eyes are doing well. She has the slightest drift if her left eye is covered but she straightens it out immediately. So she doesn't have to go back for 6 months. 

Sidney has also been riding another horse. She is riding Royal now as well as TP. She loves TP most and is progressing nicely and having fun. 

We saw Kirk on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday this week. We saw him at the Alamo Head Injury Association meeting on Wednesday. I was surprised that there were twice as ,any head injury survivors as care givers at the meeting. The survivors had a meeting about physical fitness and care givers met to discuss what was going on in their lives. There were two newbies, me and Sidney, as well as another lady who is the sister of someone who also had a bicycling accident. The meeting was very hard. It was emotionally exhausting to meet the unknown but Sidney and I both want to go back and maybe I won't be as emotional next time. We were very welcome but it was overwhelming. 

We picked Kirk up on Saturday and went for pizza and shopping before Sidney had a piano festival. She got a blue ribbon for their playing and we are still waiting for the results from the theory test. I was very proud of her. I have to admit I was really nervous when she went to play. I thought I was going to be ill. 

Kirk and Sidney played some tic tac toe. I loved watching their strategy. Kirk one the first game but Sidney payed attention after that and the rest were a tie. Also when we got our pizza Kirk didn't use a straw. His may seem strange to comment on but it is another illustration of old habits hanging on in him. He always takes a straw out of a drink that comes with one. I also got Sidney and Kirk's hair cut this weekend and new tennis shoes for both of them. 

Kirk's comment of the day was while we were waiting for Sidney to take her piano theory test. I was really tired and leaning against him with my eyes closed. He to.d me not to fall down or I would look dead. It was funny. 

We also got Kirk on Sunday and took him to church for the first time since the accident. He did very well and seemed very happy slammed between Sidney and me. He snag all the songs and of course remembers things like The Lord's Prayer.  I also noticed that his ability to group read far exceeds his ability to read on his own. Everyone at church was happy to see him.

Please don't stop praying. We have just passed 5 months since the accident and there is still no indication of moment to moment memory. And we have only started this chapter of our lives.  I a, starting to think more seriously of when Kirk will come home and it is overwhelming. So please continue to pray and support us. We will need help for a long time to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment