Sunday, September 28, 2014

September 28

I sure didn't think these days would come. I was afraid to think Kirk would start to get better because what if it didn't happen? So he now tries to kiss everyone, doctors and nurses included. It is pretty funny. I think that he thinks if I kiss you, you will go away and I can go back to sleep.

He also yawns a lot which I think is hysterical. It is something you take for granted until your loved one doesn't move for weeks.

When Kirk arrived in the ER on Labor Day his Glascow Coma Score (measure of mental status) was a 3 of 15. This has been his score for almost a month. This is the lowest score you can have. Yesterday morning he was a 7 and yesterday afternoon he was 11. He varies from 9 to 11 right now. What an amazing difference.

His pneumonia is improving. His chest X-Ray looks better and he is coughing wonderfully on his own. His secretions are thinner and he is generally breathing easier. He is still on the vent but we have taken the first step to weaning him off. It will be a multiple step process with some setbacks likely. He will also start Coumadin, the stronger clot busting drug today. He will be on this for many months. But it is an oral medication.

We have decided not to start another central line. The only IV drug he really needs right now is the antibiotic which will finish on Tuesday.

In addition to kisses he can mouth good morning, I love you, yes and no. He does want to sleep a lot still so it can be difficult to keep his attention for very long. He still won't move his arms or legs on command but I think some of that is they haven't moved in a month. He will react with his arms to pain. I really think I see glimpses of my beautiful husband and Sidney's loving father. It is so wonderful.

The next step is scary to me and it is where I am going to need help. Kirk may move to the long term acute care facility as early as tomorrow. He is going to graduate from the ICU. The LTAC can adjust the Coumadin, wean him off the vent, provide all the medications he needs and start his rehab.

What is scary to me is that he has had a full time nurse for four weeks. He will go to sharing a nurse with 3 to 5 other patients. And there is only one of me. I would like to put together a plan of help to be able to have folks who can sit with him for a few hours each day to help me monitor his care and start to provide him social contact, conversation, thinking and challenge. He still will need periods of quiet rest so we will need to respect that too. Please visit with me if you would like to help when we make our move.

Thank you again for the cards, thoughts, prayers and support. They mean so much to us and we are so blessed to have you in our lives. We love you all so much. Thank you.

5 comments:

  1. God is great!!!!! Will say no more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love you, too, Kirk!....Mmmmwahhh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Continued prayer and blessings.. I will call and see about taking a few shifts next time I am in town! So thankful that he is doing better!!!

    ReplyDelete