Wednesday, October 15, 2014

October 15

Kirk had a really great day. He asked for shoes and socks. He shaved with minimal help and he stood three times. And he stood in order to move from the bed to the chair and back. He is still mixed up during conversation for the most part but he is able stay with you for a second or two. He didn't answer when he was asked his wife and daughters names while I was there but as soon as I left he told the therapists Kimber and Sidney over and over. He just really had a good day.

I checked out the rehab place I want him to go to and he should be all set to go as soon as word is given. I suspect it will be this week. He is medically ready and needs more physical and mental stimulation. He will head back over to Reeves at University Hospital. He will receive more than three hours of therapy a day. Physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy and counseling. He will get up and get dressed each morning and when he can eat, will have to go to the dining room for his meals.

The liaison there said he would likely be there only three weeks. I have a hard time imagining that but have realized I better get on the ball getting our lives and house ready for him to come home. I may be a doubter but I would not allow my self to believe until today that he might actually come home. We still have huge hurdles to go over and many of them but maybe it is possible. And we will likely need to make several adjustments along the way.

Sidney and I will be able to spend different time with him at Reeves. She can see him whenever she wants and even participate with his therapies. I think that will be good for both of them. He will work hard during the day and we can spend evenings with him. Obviously we can't be there every evening but we will get as many as we can. We can also spend more time on the weekends.

I am working on Sidney's Halloween mask to go with her costume. I am working on an owl mask. It needs to be ready by Sunday for her piano recital and costume contest.

Sidney is doing OK. Her teeth really hurt from the braces. And her cheeks are sore. She isn't terribly interested in eating except maybe ice cream and soup. I really hope it gets better soon.

Thank you again for your prayers, thoughts, support and love. We wouldn't make it without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment