Sunday, October 5, 2014

October 5

We went to see Kirk this morning before church. He did not use the CPAP over night, he is completely on his own breathing although still through the trach with supplemental oxygen.  Respiratory tried a speaking valve this morning. They had changed his trach over night to one that does not have a cuff so air can go around the trach.  A speaking valve is a one way valve that lets him breathe in the trach and back out around the trach through his nose and mouth. Because of that he can start to speak. He did not try to speak this morning.  Because of the trach change and the speaking valve, he had a lot to get used to this morning.

He is still very restless.  I can tell he gets stronger every day but he is all over the place in the bed.  He has pulled on his trach and central line several times.  I ave warned him that they will restrain his hands if he can't leave it alone.  I asked him why he was pulling on everything and he said "Because I can".  I think this is an indicator of his frustration.

I have had a full month to make my way through the grieving process.  He is only getting started and he can't manage to do anything for himself.  Because of all the moving he has done and being fully off the ventilator, I suspect he will be pushed hard in PT this week.  I also suspect he will move to a standard room.  He will do physical and occupational therapy this week as well speech therapy.  All of these things will quickly give him independence.

It is likely that capping trials will start tomorrow for the trach. He is breathing on room air with the smallest amount of supplemental oxygen and he is very impatient about the trach.  With all the moving he is doing it would be good to get that out.  I am fairly certain he can control his own airway.  we won't try swallowing for a while. He can manage off the nutrition provided by the feeding tube for as long as needed.

Please continue to pray for peace and internal direction for him.  He is in a difficult place and try as I might I can't change it for him.

Sidney and I did attend church this morning and it was nice.  I needed a battery refill and to be able to worship in a group again.  We had to rescue a walking stick bug when we got home. Sidney will rescue nearly any bug and a walking stick is one of the best bugs. My guess is he got carried onto the porch by a bird. We got him onto a paper and delivered back to the trees.  Hopefully he isn't injured too badly.


No comments:

Post a Comment