Thursday, October 23, 2014

October 23

Kirk had a good day today. His central line was removed and I don't think we will need that again. He can take everything he needs orally.  He is still getting daily blood draws but I have asked the medical team to consider whether he actually needs those every day or can go to at least every other day. 

He was still in his room in bed when I got there this morning. I snuck in beside him for a few minutes and he put his arm around me.  It felt so good.  He reaches for my hand frequently and gives me a hug as well as a kiss.  He is also paying much more attention to TV now.  It is pretty funny.  A little like trying to get a kids attention.  I am looking forward to spending time with him and Sidney in the same room this weekend.

Kirk has post trauma amnesia.  That is part of what we need to overcome in order to get him "well". There is a score for this, similar to a coma scale.  He has a score 6 right now with a 76 being an indicator that he no longer has it.  We have a good ways to go.

Sidney is excited to go back to swimming tonight.  She can't wait to be wet all over again by something other than a shower.  We also have another dog training session tonight. Stormy is well ready for the next set of training.  I think after I get her underway and not needing training every day I am going to try to work with the bird more to build our relationship. 

Kirk's mom, aunt and cousin will arrive this evening.  His mom and aunt will stay a month. His cousin will fly back to North Carolina this weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment