Saturday, October 4, 2014

October 4

Well we took a big step forward today. Kirk was not connected to the ventilator when I arrived this morning. He was on supplemental oxygen only. He was struggling with secretions and coughing quite a lot this morning. Respiratory therapy made some adjustments mid day that helped significantly plus Kirk fully adjusted to breathing on his own. We will be connected to the CPAP at night but I suspect that won't continue for very long. I am confident we have kissed the ventilator good bye.

He is still very restless and in and out of confusion. The weekend is a break from therapy but with the amount he is moving he needs to be prepared to work on Monday. He can follow more commands (requests really, I hate commands) and high fived Sidney today.

Kirk has lost a lot of weight, a bunch of it muscle. His admit weight the day of the accident was 109 kilograms. His weight on Monday when he moved to LifeCare was 92 kilograms. I am guessing he will loose more as he starts more intensive rehab but hopefully he will gain back muscle mass.

We had some Houston friends again this weekend and I got the gas and groceries out of the way. Plus I actually made a real dinner for Sidney and me. We had breaded chicken, fresh green beans and mashed potatoes. Of course we only made a small dent in what I cooked.

Sidney and I are going to visit Kirk in the morning, go to church for the first time since the accident, and then visit him again in the afternoon tomorrow. Monday will of course bring the start of another week.

1 comment: